Ghost Dance Soup
2lb ground bear meat (buffalo meat or rump steak)
1 tablespoon cooking fat (vegetable oil)
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
5 cups water
1/3 cup sugar
2 large potatoes (cubed)
1 onion (chopped)
1 carrot (cubed)
2 tomatoes (chopped)
1 pint tomato juice
optional: 1 teaspoon chopped wild garlic (1 clove, crushed)
- Heat the cooking fat in a skillet. Lightly fry the garlic.
- Add the meat to the garlic and brown. Drain off excess fat.
- Place in large cook pot. Add salt, pepper, water, and onion.
- Cook over a low heat for 30 minutes.
- Add the sugar, potatoes, carrot, tomatoes, and tomato juice and simmer gently.
- Cook for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- The soup is ready to serve when the vegetables are soft.