Simi Chumbo is a baked nut pudding, particularly popular among Native American people.
1 pint full milk
1 cup chopped hickory nuts (walnuts or pecans)
3 large tablespoons corn meal
3 eggs (lightly beaten)
2oz butter (plus a knob for greasing dish)
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 teaspoon grated nutmeg (optional)
- Heat the oven 350/ 180/ gas 4.
- Grease a flat, ovenproof pudding dish.
- Bring the milk to the boil in a large pan over a medium stove heat.
- Add the cornmeal, sugar, salt, and butter. Reduce heat. Simmer and stir until the mixture thickens.
- Remove from the heat and cool slightly.
- Stir in the eggs. Fold in the nuts and vanilla essence.
- Place in the baking dish and smooth out. Sprinkle with the nutmeg.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes until the pudding sets into a custard.