3lb cubed deer meat (venison)
3 celery sticks
1/2 chopped cabbage
3 tablespoons bacon fat
- Wash, peel, and coarsely chop all the vegetables.
- Melt the bacon fat in large pot on the stove-top and add the meat. Fry until evenly brown, stirring constantly.
- Add enough hot water to cover the meat. Simmer with a lid on for one hour.
- Add the carrots and celery. Mix in the salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Stir well. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, onions, and cabbage. Mix well with more hot water if needed.
- Cook with the lid off for 30 minutes on a medium heat. Stir occasionally throughout until the stew reduces and thickens.
- Adjust the seasoning to suit your taste. Remove the bay leaf before serving.