1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup unbleached flour
1/4 tablespoon salt
1/2 tablespoon baking powder
1 cup milk
3 tablespoons fat: vegetable oil / bacon fat / lard
1/4 teaspoon paprika
Grated cheese to sprinkle
- Mix all the flour, salt, and baking powder in a pan or bowl.
- Rub in the fat until the mixture is like coarse breadcrumbs.
- Add the milk and stir well.
- Divide the soft dough into equal-sized balls.
- Flatten each ball to form a biscuit-shaped round.
- Add the biscuits to a hot griddle or pan over the fire. [Bake in a hot oven for 15 -20 minutes]
- Cook until the biscuits rise and the tops start to brown.
- Sprinkle with paprika and grated cheese.