1lb dry pinto beans
1 chopped onion
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
1 tablespoon A-1 Steak Sauce
1/4 teaspoon Tabasco Sauce
1 teaspoon lemon pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Soak the dry pinto beans overnight.
- Bring to the boil and then immediately reduce the heat, with just enough water to cover the beans.
- Simmer on low until the beans become tender. Stir frequently and do not overcook.
- Add the onion, salt, Worcestershire Sauce, A-1 Steak Sauce, Tabasco Sauce, pepper, and garlic powder. Stir well.
- Simmer for an additional half-hour. Serve hot.
1 1/4 cups of sour milk
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 1/4 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 cup blueberries or raisins
grease for cooking
- Beat together the eggs, sour milk, and vegetable oil in a large bowl.
- Sift the flour, salt, baking powder and sugar in the bowl. Fold thoroughly into the liquid and stir until a smooth batter forms.
- Heat a well-greased griddle. Pour several 1/2-cups of batter in rounds to cook. This recipe makes about 12 pancakes.
- Add the berries or raisins while the batter is soft. Press into shape with a spatula. Turn half-way through cooking to evenly brown both sides.
- Serve with butter, maple syrup, or apple sauce!
Bacon grease for cooking
2 cups flour
1 tablespoon salt
Water (to form a stiff dough)
- Mix the four and salt together in a large pot.
- Add enough water to form a stiff, non-sticky dough.
- Roll out on a floured surface into a 1/2-inch slab and cut into 3-inch squares.
- Punch several nail-holes in each piece to allow the steam to escape during cooking.
- Grease a fire-proof baking pan or Dutch-oven and place it on the fire.
- Add hard tack pieces and cover with a lid.
- Bake until brown.
1 pint water
4lb corned beef
6 potatoes, cubed
I onion, chopped
6 carrots, sliced
1 turnip, quartered
1 butternut squash, cubed
1 cabbage, quartered
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
- Place the corned beef in a large pot or deep skillet.
- Cover with the water. Add the salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil, cover, and reduce heat. Cook for 3 hours until the meat turns tender.
- Stir in the potatoes, carrots, and turnip. Boil for 30 minutes.
- Add the squash and cabbage. Stir well. Boil for an additional 15 minutes.
- Thoroughly mix everything together. Serve piping hot.
2 1/2 cups of rice
2 1/2 cups of milk
1 cup maple syrup
1 cup raisins or sultanas
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
Butter to grease pudding dish
- Grease an oven-proof pudding dish with the butter.
- Place the rice and milk in a large pot. Stir well.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs and maple syrup together. Fold into the rice mixture.
- Stir in all the other ingredients.
- Pour in the buttered pudding dish. Cover with a tight lid.
- Carefully place over a pan of boiling water (or use a stove-top double boiler).
- Cook for approximately 1 hour, replenishing the water at frequent intervals so the pan does not boil dry.
- Stir occasionally to prevent the rice from sticking on the bottom.
- Serve with cream if desired.
2 cups sugar
2 tablespoons butter
2 squares of chocolate or 2 tablespoons cocoa
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons corn syrup
2/3 cups milk or cream
Grease for pan.
- Heat the sugar, milk, chocolate (cocoa), and corn syrup together in a large pot.
- Mix well, until the sugar is totally melted.
- Stir continually until the mixture makes a soft ball. Take care not to burn the base.
- Blend in the butter and vanilla.
- Put aside to cool.
- Beat out any bubbles or lumps and spread on a marble slab, or press firmly into a buttered pan.
- Allow to chill and set firm.
- Cut into squares.
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups cornmeal
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs (beaten)
1 tablespoon butter or margarine (melted)
1/2 cup milk
Grease for cooking
- Place the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Mix.
- Stir in the beaten eggs and the melted butter or margarine.
- Using a fork (not a whisk) slowly add the milk, beating until the mixture makes a thin, smooth batter.
- Spoon into rounds on a hot, greased skillet or griddle.
- Cook briefly.
- Turn over. Evenly brown the reverse side.
- Serve hot.