2 1/2 cups of rice
2 1/2 cups of milk
1 cup maple syrup
1 cup raisins or sultanas
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
Butter to grease pudding dish
- Grease an oven-proof pudding dish with the butter.
- Place the rice and milk in a large pot. Stir well.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs and maple syrup together. Fold into the rice mixture.
- Stir in all the other ingredients.
- Pour in the buttered pudding dish. Cover with a tight lid.
- Carefully place over a pan of boiling water (or use a stove-top double boiler).
- Cook for approximately 1 hour, replenishing the water at frequent intervals so the pan does not boil dry.
- Stir occasionally to prevent the rice from sticking on the bottom.
- Serve with cream if desired.